Friday, April 20, 2012

I've been fighting a nasty flu bug making the rounds.  It's on of those with chest congestion and a cough and anytime I get up to do anything I break out in a sweat! Ugh!  I'm not sure if it's my imagination but I feel like I've been more sickly in the year since moving to Hawaii, maybe the change in climate...
One of the things I love to do when I'm under the weather is watch old British police shows.  But my absolute favorite is the old A&E series Jeeves and Wooster.  Hugh Laurie and Stephen Frye are so great together!  It's hilarious.  It's hard to believe Laurie is the same actor who plays House, because his Bertie Wooster is such a google eyed idiot...
I'm preaching this week on the Luke text when Jesus asks the disciples what they have to eat.  I suppose broiled fish could be a kind of comfort food...when I'm sick I remember all the delicious casseroles my grandmother used to make to give us when my mom or someone in the family was sick.  She could make even the most basic casserole taste yummy! She used to make the best Spanish Rice casserole.  Of course she didn't have recipes for any of these things and so now most of what she cooked is gone with her.  I would ask her for a recipe and she would invariably say "oh a little of this and that, whatever I have on hand!"  When I try to combine whatever I have on hand it does not turn out tasty and delicious, more like, " it's edible but I won't ever try that again!"
My aunt and uncle are coming next week for a visit and I'm really hoping I feel better.  I'm also hoping I can get a decent sermon together.  That's one thing about ministry, you may not go in to the office or do other weekly work, but unless I've been incapacitated I don't think I've missed more than a couple Sundays in 15 years of ministry due to illness.
I am grateful for work that allows me flexibility.  I can't imagine what it must be like for people who work minimum wage, who don't get sick days, who can't afford to miss more than a day or two of work.  So, even though when I'm sick I like to have my little pity parties about housework and household chores I know I have much to be grateful for and very little to complain about.
I hope my ministry colleagues out there are practicing good self care and health.  What do you turn to for comfort when you're sick?

No comments:

Post a Comment